This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer policy
Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food - Adult Small Bites
Natural Balance Dog Food
Merrick Lil Plates Small Breed Freeze-Dried Raw Bites
WholeHearted Grain Free Small-Breed Chicken and Pea Recipe
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain
A dog will teach you unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad – Robert Wagner
If history has taught us anything, it’s that we always know that when the chips are down, the odds are against us and things are at their worst, we can always rely on our best friend.
It doesn’t matter that the friend that will never let any of us down has four legs instead of two, likes to bark at the strangest times and things, and is always ready to go for a walk, when push comes to shove, your dog will always be there for you.
Josh Billings was right when he said that a dog is the only creature on Earth who loves you more than it loves itself, and canines have constantly proved their loyalty and love throughout the many millennia that humans and dogs have been attached at the hip. Dogs have always been, and will always be, our best friends.
While all dogs form a fierce and unshakable bond with their human best friends, few are as loyal, trusting, and affectionate as the Pembrokeshire Corgi, or Corgi as the breed is more commonly known.
They are a breed that thrives in a family environment and for whom nothing is as important as pleasing as their owner.
Those qualities, along with a thousand other reasons, are why you’ll only ever want the absolute best for your Corgi and that’s why we’ve made a list of the best dog food that you can feed your Corgi because your best friend is special and deserves to be treated with nothing but love, kindness, and adulation.
It’s dinner time, so let’s make your Corgi happy…
Best Dog Food For Corgis – Reviews & Buying Guide
Best Overall: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food – Adult Small Bites
Hills believes that nutrition changes dog’s lives for the better and that’s why they invest all of their time and energy into creating the sort of food that’s been tailor-made to improve every aspect of your Corgi’s life.
Their scientific approach to nutrition means that their food is specifically designed to keep your dog healthy and happy and that their zest for life remains undiminished regardless of how many grey hairs they have or how white their muzzle is.
A complete dry food that contains all of the Omega oils and vitamins that are needed to keep your Corgi’s coat and skin in optimal condition.
Hill’s Science Diet also packs enough of a protein-based punch to make sure that their muscles remain lean so that they’re ready to spring into action at a moment’s notice.
The bite-sized chunks of kibble are just the right size, not too big and not too small, for your Corgi and every bowl full of Hills is made with ingredients that are sourced the right way so you can rest assured that each mouthful your Corgi takes has been made to the highest Hill’s standards.
Founded by a veterinarian, and still the number one choice of veterinarians throughout America, Hills is made with one goal, to make sure that your dog can enjoy their life to the fullest.
A century of scientific research and formulation has led to Hill’s becoming one of the most respected, pet-friendly brands in the world, and if legions of other owners and their dogs have put their faith in Hills, then you can too.
- A complete, all in one dry dog food that’s been specifically formulated for small dog breeds, Hill’s Science Diet has all of the nutrients, oils, proteins, and vitamins that your Corgi needs to thrive.
- It’s an all-ages diet, so it doesn’t matter how many miles your Corgi has on his canine odometer, Hills has been created to ensure that he stays healthy and happy.
- Hills don’t just care about the science, they also care about taste and knowing how fussy some small dogs can be, have made their dry food to appeal to, and please, even the pickiest of palates.
- And, if that wasn’t enough to convince you that it’s been made with your dog in mind, just take a look at the packet. There’s a Corgi on the front of it. How much more breed-specific could a small dog food be?
- Hills use grains in the manufacture of their foods, which can be an issue for some dogs, so it might be worth discussing how this ingredient can affect your Corgi with your veterinarian as some dogs have trouble digesting and processing this additional ingredient. It isn’t an ideal ingredient, but it’s one that Hills uses nonetheless.
Runner Up: Natural Balance Dog Food
Founded in nineteen eighteen nine, Natural Balance knows that pets rely on us as much as we rely on them, and so set out to make dog food that combined high nutrition value with outstanding taste, and only used the best ingredients as well as meeting the highest safety standards.
They realized that feeding a dog a simpler, premium diet that used fewer ingredients allows you to fully control what your dog was eating and created their L.I.D (limited ingredient diet) diet in order to fulfill that incredibly important objective.
This small breed food has been designed for smaller jaws and every bite is packed full of flavor and all of the nutrients that your Corgi needs as well as containing all of the crunch that they love that also helps to keep their teeth clean and their gums healthy.
Salmon and sweet potato might sound like an odd mix of flavors to feed your Corgi, but it’s one that they’ll adore and keep returning to time and time again.
The only problem that you’ll have is making sure that they don’t eat too much, as given a chance your Corgi will always come back for a second helping of Natural Balance.
Free from any traditional bulking agents such as soy, wheat, and grain, Natural Balance keeps their ingredient list simple to ensure that your Corgi will enjoy the rich flavor and always lick their bowl clean.
It doesn’t matter how temperamental your best friend’s palate is, once they’ve tried Natural Balance, they’ll be hooked on it.
- We all know that Corgis, if left to their own devices, have a tendency to pile the pounds on, and the older they get, the more difficult they find it to shift and lose, their excess baggage. The limited ingredients that Natural Balance uses in their food makes it easier to control their weight and helps your Corgi to maintain an ideal physical balance.
- It’s completely devoid of all of the cheap, and traditional, bulking agents and focuses on packing all of the things that are good for your Corgi (and that they like and enjoy) into their food instead.
- An all-ages dog food, Natural Balance is made to keep you Corgi healthy and active no matter how old or young he is. And did we mention how good it tastes? We did? Okay, we just wanted to make sure.
- Although you have to buy it in bulk, pound for pound and dollar for dollar, Natural Balance is an incredibly affordable way to ensure that you satisfy all of your best pals’ dietary requirements and keep them smiling. And yes, dogs can smile, they really can and nothing anyone says will ever convince us that they can’t.
- If your Corgi has a sensitive stomach, Natural Balance, being incredibly protein-rich, could be a little too much for him. And the only person who knows whether or not he’ll be able to handle a L.I.D. diet is you. But as he’s your best friend, that won’t be a problem because you know what he does and doesn’t enjoy and what his digestive system can cope, and deal with.
Alternative: Merrick Lil Plates Small Breed Freeze-Dried Raw Bites
If you’re a “my Corgi is the best Corgi in the world” kind of person (and let’s face it, who isn’t?), then even if you’re not aware of it, you already subscribe to the Merrick philosophy.
Started by Garth Merrick, who felt the same way about his dog Gracie as you do about your Corgi, on his family farm in Texas thirty years ago when he began to make healthy nutritious meals for his beloved pet, Merrick has come a long way since their humble origins, but their core credo has always remained at the forefront of everything that they do.
They make food for the best pets in the world. And the best pet in the world? That’s your Corgi.
The first ingredient in Merrick’s Freeze-Dried Raw Bites is always deboned, Texas-bred beef, which is combined with sweet potato and contains all of the fats, oils, proteins, nutrients, and vitamins that any, and all dogs need.
The end result is rich in flavor and has been formulated to keep your Corgi’s energy levels up, his weight down, his skin and coat healthy and helps to keep his joints and hips in peak physical condition.
Grain and additive-free, Merricks Lil Bites follows nature’s lead, because when it comes to making sure that your Corgi stays healthy, Mother (Nature) always knows best.
Founded on one man’s belief that every pet deserves the best, Merricks has devoted themselves to following a natural path, and it’s one that has seen them find favor with legions of dog owners the world over.
Sometimes, all it takes to make the world better is love, dedication, and devotion. It’s the route that Merricks chose, and it’s the one that your Corgi will thank you for taking.
- Merricks is an all-natural, protein-rich diet. It doesn’t use any fillers or bulking agents and keeps everything one hundred percent as nature intended so that your Corgi will thrive and always remain young at heart.
- All of Merrick’s pet foods are created from Garth Merricks home recipes. Every single meal they produce has been made to make sure that your pet only gets the best because your Corgi is the best pet in the world and as such absolutely deserves nothing but the best
- All of Merricks Freeze Dried food gets sixty percent of its protein content from free-range, ranch-raised Texas cattle. Made with beef that’s been raised the Texas way, this dry food is going to make your Corgi dance with joy every single time mealtime rolls around.
- Merricks dry food has been formulated to contain a perfect combination of protein, healthy fats, and omega oils. It’s been made to deliver and supply all of the things that your Corgi needs to lead a long, happy life
- As the ingredients are completely natural, it isn’t going to fall in the same price bracket as non-descript supermarket own brands of tinned dog food. It’s been made for the best dog in the world, and as you and Merricks know, the best dog in the world is, of course, your Corgi. You’ll pay a lot more for Merricks, but your best pal is worth it. After all, it’s just money, right?
Alternative: WholeHearted Grain Free Small-Breed Chicken and Pea Recipe
WholeHearted makes it easy to find the best food for your best friend. No matter how big or small your dog is, WholeHearted has got you covered and makes food that’s been specifically designed with your four-legged companion in mind.
They believe that every meal should be joyful, and have created the food that your Corgi needs based on that belief and a desire to keep them healthy and happy.
Knowing that protein should always be the primary ingredient of any dog food, WholeHearted based their Chicken and Pea recipe on that idea and uses nothing but the very best ingredients in every dog food that they make.
That means that they, like your Corgi, value taste above all else, but unlike your dog who doesn’t always know what’s good for him, WholeHearted does know what’s good for him.
So they’ve made sure that this complete dry food is also full of all of the vitamins, minerals, oils, and fats that your Corgi needs to stay fit, active, and happy.
They may not spend the sort of money on advertising their food that other brands do, but that’s because WholeHearted prefer to let their food do their talking for them.
One of the best kept secrets in the canine world, like every other dog who discovers their food, once your Corgi has tasted WholeHearted, nothing else will do.
- Packed with one hundred percent natural ingredients and free from bulking agents and preservatives, this grain-free dog food has been formulated and created to help your best friend to live a long, happy, and healthy life.
- And keeping your best pal happy won’t hurt your pocketbook too badly either. WholeHearted is surprisingly, and reassuringly, affordable and will make you just as happy as it makes your Corgi.
- The good news is that there is no bad news. Dogs and their owners love WholeHearted and swear by it and stand by everything that WholeHearted say about their dog food. It’s affordable and your Corgi will love it. What more do you need to know?
Alternative: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain
Blue Buffalo rigidly sticks to a simple mantra – love them like family, feed them like family. They believe that you should feed your dog with the same care and attention to detail that you’d use to feed yourself or any other member of your family.
Nothing but the best will do, and that’s why they’ve packed their Rocky Mountain Dry Food with nothing but the best ingredients.
Inspired by the diet of the wolves who roam the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains, Blue Buffalo’s dry food is made to satisfy your Corgi’s inner wolf with its meat-rich taste.
A high protein, grain-free food that is enriched with vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, Rocky Mountain has been packed full of the proteins that small dogs need to maintain their high energy levels.
Made to make your Corgi feel like the wolf that he is, Rocky Mountain is the food that proves that every small dog has the same spirit and drive as the biggest dog in the yard.
Pets are Blue Buffalo’s passion and they promise that all of the food that they make is made with that in mind. They value happiness and health more than profit and do their utmost to live up to the promise that they made to a dog called Blue a long time ago.
Everything they do, they do for Blue.
- Blue Buffalo knows that it doesn’t matter how big or small a dog is, inside they’re all the same. They crave the same diet that their ancestors did, and they’ve followed nature’s guidelines and improved on them by enhancing their all-natural food with additional nutrients, vitamins, fats, minerals, and oils. Everything that your Corgi will need to thrive is contained in this complete dry food.
- Any brand that puts pets before profits is one that you can trust implicitly. Blue Buffalo is a brand that wears its heart on its collective sleeve and does what it can to make the lives of pets everywhere better.
- If your Corgi is allergic to chicken, then you’re going to want them to stay away from Rocky Mountain, as even though Blue Buffalo advertises that it’s chicken-free, it does contain chicken fat.
Best Dog Food For Corgis – Buyer’s Guide
Which Dog Food Is The Best One For My Corgi?
As all of the brands of dog food for Corgis on our list fall within a similar budgetary level, bar Merrick which is reassuringly expensive, the only question that you really need to ask yourself is does my Corgi have any allergies?
If your best pal is allergy-free, then we’d always recommend that you feed him the same brand of food that we feed our Corgi with, Blue Buffalo. Corgis are little dogs with big personalities, and the best way to feed them is with big dog food that’s been made for little dogs, Rocky Mountain.
If your Corgi does have allergies, then the next best dietary course is the one that we follow when we can’t manage to find any Blue Buffalo, and that’s the WholeHearted way.
It has everything that your Corgi will ever need in order to bloom and fully enjoy his life and it’ll make him happy and content without breaking your bank balance in two. And at the end of the day, your best friend’s happiness is all that really matters isn’t it?
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Corgi?
The Corgi, or Pembrokeshire Corgi, is a cattle herding dog that was first bred in Pembrokeshire in Wales. Taking its name from the old Welsh for ‘dwarf dog’ the Corgi is one of the smallest herding dog breeds in the world.
Despite being a favorite dog of the British Royal Family and the fact that Queen Elizabeth II has owned more than thirty during her time on the throne, the Corgi has fallen out of favor in the UK.
Even though the breed isn’t as popular as it once was in its country of origin, it has become increasingly popular in the United States and many cities on both coasts regularly hold ‘Corgi meet-ups’ where owners and their dogs can get together to spend time with each other and share Corgi related “war stories”
Known for being incredibly affectionate and loyal, Corgi’s thrive in a family environment as they have a strong pack instinct. Unlike many other working dogs, Corgi’s don’t need to learn how to socialize with other animals and people, as their naturally gregarious demeanor makes them friendly and sociable.
They are widely regarded as being the eleventh most intelligent dog breed in the world and are also known for their natural tendency to want to please their owners and because of this are also incredibly easy to train.